A healthy oral hygiene routine can help you avoid tooth decay and gum disease, but what happens when it’s too late for preventative treatment?
Dental implant surgery is a restorative treatment which your dentist may recommend to replace missing teeth.
Dental implants are designed to help improve your smile whilst also restoring natural function.
What are dental implants?
Dental implants are made from three different components:
1. The titanium screws
The screws are made from titanium, which is a safe, biocompatible metal that is accepted by the body and provides a strong foundation for replacement teeth. Essentially, they are artificial tooth roots that are inserted into the jaw bone.
Dental implants are made from biocompatible material so your body’s less likely to reject the implant. The jaw bone will grow around the implants and will fuse with them as if they were natural tooth roots.
2. The abutment
An abutment is an attachment which is used to connect the implant to the prosthetic tooth. The gum will be closed around the abutment, so it is ready for the prosthetic tooth.
3. The prosthetic tooth
The prosthetic tooth is the visible part of the dental implant and is typically made from porcelain. At Dream Smiles, our crowns are tailor-made to match the colour and shape of your teeth perfectly. Each prosthetic tooth is tailor-made for each patient to match your smile.
Dental implant procedure
From start to finish it can take between 4 to 6 months to complete the dental implant treatment. It takes four appointments to complete this tooth replacement treatment.
In your first appointment, our Dream Smiles dentists will assess your oral health. This will include a general check-up and x-rays. The x-rays will tell us if you have adequate jawbone density and ensure you are suitable for treatment.
In your second appointment, the implant is placed by a surgeon or periodontist. It will be surgically placed at the site of the missing tooth root, and the gum stitched closed.
Healing time: 3-6 months
In your third appointment, an abutment is attached to the dental implant and then the gum closed around the abutment.
Healing time: 1-2 weeks
In your final appointment, the prosthetic tooth is attached to the abutment and your treatment is complete.
Don’t forget to visit your dental clinic regularly for checkups to maintain your overall oral health, which will, in turn, ensure your implants can last a very long time.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
- Long-lasting: Dental implants are a good long-term investment for your oral health. The prosthetic crown will need to be replaced roughly every 10 to 15 years. With proper care, implants themselves can last 25 years to a lifetime!
- Natural appearance: At Dream Smiles, our prosthetic teeth are tailor-made to match the colour and shape of your natural teeth perfectly.
- Functional: Your new prosthetic tooth will preserve your jaw bone and function as a normal tooth. You will have the ability to eat, chew and enjoy your food as usual.
- Convenient: Dental implants won’t slip out of your mouth (as may accidentally happen with removable dentures). They also do not require any unpleasant adhesives to keep them in place.
- High success rate: Dental implants don’t often fall out or fail as they are fixed into place. In very rare cases, bone loss or peri-implantitis (gum disease) may cause the implant to become loose or fall out. If you are relatively healthy, you should face no issues.
Dental Implants with Dream Smiles
If you are looking for a reliable, long-term tooth replacement option, dental implants could be the ideal solution for you.
The Dream Smiles team are very experienced in providing dental implants as well as other restorative treatments and after an initial assessment, will be able to advise whether dental implants are right for you.
If you would like to know more about dental implants Brisbane and Sunnybank or to request an appointment, please contact us today.